It seems like it's been a while since I blogged about teaching. Last Friday was a "stockpile" day and no students were there. Mac said he didn't need me so I got to go shopping with Mom! I pre-ordered Twilight at Hot Topic! (Not related to teaching but awesome nonetheless.)
On Monday, I went to Murfreesboro to meet with President McPhee, along with other faculty on the ABAS department and Chad, the Ag Council VP. Mac had a textbook adoption committee meeting so there was a sub, so I didn't go in all day. It seemed to be a productive meeting ... except President McPhee didn't know what swine meant.
Yesterday I attempted to teach soils to the freshmen, but whenever I asked questions or tried to get a reaction ... it was pretty silent. Considering that, I tried to gear what we were talking about much more towards something they'll use in the future - like how the class of soil they might one day build a house on it very important. The only problem I have with doing it like that is that they might lose the rest of the information I gave them ... I realize that the most important thing is they learn how to apply it, but hopefully not just in isolated situations.
Today was mostly a labor day - out in the greenhouse. 1st and 2nd block worked transplanting plugs and filling trays. The more I work in the greenhouse, the more I come to appreciate it. I also see the methods to the madness behind Mac's arrangement of everything.
After school I attended a faculty meeting with Mac. Nothing too noteworthy, other than I noticed there were only about 5 or 6 male teachers at the entire meeting. They discussed also that tomorrow, the Beech basketball team is in the state finals and most of the school will be gone by 2nd block. Yay for well-performing sports teams!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment