Monday, March 9, 2009

Student Teaching - Day 27

My first day at Beech! Today I did a lot of observation and not much of anything else. First block is Agriscience, and today they worked on their SAE's in the animal science lab. Mostly I just sat and watched. I was very impressed with the amount and variety of animals in the lab. I wish I had something similar when I was in high school. I also wonder how I can acquire facilities like that when I'm teaching somewhere.
2nd block is Greenhouse. Today the students did clippings and mixed soil. I have this pull every time I think about having a greenhouse - sometimes I hate working in it, sometimes I could be out there all day. I think it has a lot to do with if someone decides to turn on the fans. :)
3rd block is Farm Power and Equipment. Most of the students worked in the shop, and some of them began painting the lab. I worked on my portfolio a little, and responded to some emails. I then began working a state-bound proficiency application. I made the supplemental page into a collage and stayed a little after class to help the student work on her photo captions, as well. I was glad that today I could have a product, instead of sitting around all day. (And yet at the same time, I was so glad not to be thrown into teaching on my first day at a new place. I hate being unprepared!)

No comments: