In 2nd block, I finally was able to do the Blood Trail Challenge! We discussed the different types of shots and blood, and what those shots mean in relation to how to follow that trail. I think the students really had fun, and I will genuinely miss these students. I know that I was able to teach this class for a reason - I love wildlife management, but I had never taken the class in high school. I'm so amazed and glad that I was given the opportunity to teach this class because this has truly shaped my love of yet another agriculture class. I will miss these students and I will never forget them.
During lunch, the students brought food to celebrate my last day. Michelle gave me an old picture of the two of us in a beautiful frame. I also was given a card with all the student's signatures and lots of little messages written. A 4th block student also wrote me a beautiful note, and Mr. Shartzer framed a scanned picture of an older issue of a National FFA Magazine where I was on the cover. I will keep these tokens, especially the card, forever. The things written on that card reflect what had made an impression during my teaching - the field trips, the games, etc. That not only tells me what I did right, but just made me feel good in general!
I also had gifts for the students. In 2nd block, I had promised the students that won the Thicket Game a surprise, and I made them cupcakes. Anyone who did not win was able to tell me one thing they learned in class to also get a cupcake. I had about 30 students that I had written a notecard to, and about 23 of them that I had a framed picture of something we did over my time there. In order not to hurt any feelings, I had the students I had a note or picture for stay after class without telling them what for. I had many students tell me they would put the picture in a certain spot in their room - "I'm putting this on my desk!" - and couple of students have already sent me emails. One girl in particular let me know she cried when she read it. I also had many students, mostly boys, come back at the end of the day just to see me one last time and give me a hug before I left. Knowing that I was going to be able to see lots of them again during State Convention made me feel much better! I also think I will be able to sub for Mrs. Barnett at the end of the Portland School year, right after I graduate. I hope that comes through!
My overall experience at Portland can be summarized with this: I will never, ever forget those students. Each one of them has illstrated things I will be able to use in the future, and I vow to honor them by using what I've learned for good with the students I will one day have. To my students, I send out positive energy. I know they are smart, amazing, kind, funny, sweet, creative people that I love who will make a difference in the world no matter that they choose to do. Thank you God for sending them to me!
1 comment:
OMG... Jessie!
Chase and I were reading this and it's so amazing! We miss you tons! Can't wait til the next time we get to see you.... hope Beech will be good for you. I had forgot about you having to fill out this blog until we were trying to find some pics of MTSU's hydroponics program... and your blog was something the search engine brought up!!! :) How weird is that? Chase is really upset cause he doesn't get to go to state... and he says he'll probably never see you again. So he says he's going to cry his self to sleep every night. LOL.
Miss ya bunches! :)
Michelle
Post a Comment