Saturday, February 28, 2009

Student Teaching - Day 26

Friday was an amazing day! Here are the two reasons why:

My awesome mom came to 3rd block Small Animal Care to give her presentation on dogs. She has a successful dog project group at the 4-H office, and Amy's class is still studying dogs, so it was perfect! First she spoke on scent and sight hounds, then had fun activities for the students to participate in that simulates being a sight or smell hound. Some of the items for the scent activity had the students complaining - garlic, onions, and tuna all in the same place were gross. However, I really think the students learned about which dogs are sight or scent hounds, and how better to utilize their dog's abilities.
Then she played Terrier Jeopardy with them. She worked really hard on a new game that focused just on the terrier group after I told her they have a test on Monday. When the students answered, it was evident who was already prepared and who needed more work. We also discussed with them how it's important when learning breeds, floriculture ID, or anything else, to not memorize the actual picture, but memorize the characteristics of the item. I think that helped some of them.






The second awesome thing about Friday was my field trip to Bledsoe Creek State Park with the wildlife class. I have been preparing this for weeks now, and I was really hoping for a large crowd. I invited anyone from the ag department, but anyone from Wildlife got extra credit for going. Originally, I had arranged for the Park Ranger to come speak to us for a few moments, then the students could fish while I got the food ready. However, when I got to the park after shopping for the food, he wasn't there at the scheduled time. Since he lives on the park and one of the students said he knows him well, he went up to talk to him. When the student got back, he informed me that the ranger totally forgot about it all and is too sick to come out. I was upset - not because he was sick, but because he didn't let me know by phone or email that he wasn't able to make it. A little professionalism is all I ask! Despite that setback, I had 23 people in all come to the park last night! Two boys also brought boats! I was so impressed by the amount of students, but also by their ability to keep their word. Every single student that promised me they would attend showed up. I just love all of them!
They fished (or tried to) until 6 when they all came back and ate - I barely had anything left over, so I really think everyone got their fill! I also gave away a few prizes. The biggest prize, a new tackle box, was given to a student who fished out a deer skeleton!
Overall, it was a awesome night that still has me in a good mood. I love my (future) job!

No comments: