Monday, February 23, 2009

Student Teaching - Day 23

What a nice Monday. :)

Uneventful morning, nothing earthshattering in Floriculture. The students needed to work on their proficiencies so I just worked on information for 2nd block.

In 2nd, I still want to do the artificial blood trail challenge, but it's just too darn cold for the next few days. Therefore, I'm moving on to habitat requirements and management practices/concepts, until Thursday when we'll try to go outside. (Hopefully it won't rain!) The first half of the class was spent explaining the upcoming field trip on Friday (can't wait!), discussing the rest of the week, and then watching an old movie about hunting and living harmoniously with wildlife. It reminded me of the old reel movies people would watch in health classes that had stupid cartoon hosts. I showed most of it, but the main purpose was just to have them observe different stages of plant succession. There's no projector in the room so I haven't been able to use any darn PowerPoints, so I'll take visuals where I can! Then we began a jigsaw on the 13 concepts of wildlife management - but oh my goodness did it take a long time. I need a better way to explain a real jigsaw. And I probably should also pre-fold the paper for them. They didn't finish so tomorrow we will finish in groups, then I'll explain the concepts in more detail. I need to consider a way to review because I'm going to quiz them on it on Thursday.

In 4th block, one of my students had told me earlier in the day that she was being promoted at her place of employment. She then told me about a discussion she had with a co-worker and her near fight with this person. It made me realize that personality types is a good topic even for a Sales and Service class - so we took awesome personality quizzes all block. I loved hearing the students discuss why they chose a certain item on a quiz, and rationalize why that's their personality or not. I still have half of the quizzes to do tomorrow, and then we're doing the more accurate Big 4 test - I can't wait to see the results on that one! My 4th block certainly has a mixture of very distinct personalities and I know they'll enjoy it.

My field trip for Friday is coming along! I talked to Clint this afternoon and although he won't be able to make it, he gave me some great tips for the fishing tournament. The student's I've talked to that are coming seem to be very excited - some students are even bringing boats! I hope I have a large attendance, not only because it'll be an educational experience, but also because it will be a fun send-off for me. Next Wednesday is my last day at Portland ... I can't even imagine leaving my awesome students, but I'll have to. Bummer...

No comments: