Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Student Teaching - Day 3 and 4

Tuesday was relatively uneventful. I got to school early to talk to my Co-op team. At first, I wans't sure I'd have enough, but by the end of the day I have a full 5 members, meaning we'll have a drop score. This weekend I want to sit down and plan this out the right way. It's a new contest so as Mr. Shartzer put it, we'll all be on an equal playing field. So by next Tuesday I'd like to have our game plan figured out so they know what to expect and we do this the proper way, as to not waste time. Winning isn't the most important thing, but I'd like to say we did the best we knew to do. I think we can incorporate our egg cooperative with the 4-H chick chain very well, so our presentations rank higher than others. That's one of my only solid thoughts on it so far. Also, I'm going to be at Beech during State Convention, but I'll accompany Portland to Convention. That way I can be with my Co-op team. :)

Also, in 2nd block, the students had a very intelligent discussion on global warming and the role agriculture plays in that debate. They also discusseed eminent domain. I was so impressed and proud of the knowledge they exhibited, and they probably didn't even know it was exemplary.

Amy's 3rd block gave me this beautiful buttercup! Speaking of flowers, I stayed after school to help Terry's wife, Marie, with the floriculture team. "Help" is really a loose term, since she's taken countless teams to nationals for floriculture. But being around their practice will teach me better than I could teach myself!

Today I went to visit Beech, my second placement, just to get a feel for their facilities. I was truly amazed at everything they had - Agscience lab, Animal science lab, communications lab, 3 greenhouses, aquaculture ... it was impressive. I wasn't sure what to think of Beech or the students, but of the small group I met, they seem very receptive and willing to learn. I'll have a hard time leaving Portland, but at least it will be for a school that's just as productive.

We then had to meet Doc at 2 at Lebanon High School, where Mr. Howard told us about his method of completing competencies. He also gave us some greenhouse tomatoes, and showed us his aquaculture operation. He gave me a great idea that I've been thinking of all afternoon. He mentioned how trying to grow tomatoes in float beds in their aquaculture tank didn't work, because the tilapia ate the roots. But there had to be a way to protect the roots while they still get water, like a mesh barrier underneath the float bed. I'll admit that aquaculture by itself never interested me much before today - now I can see how it could be a great activity coupled with hydroponics. Ag mech students could also learn block laying skills by building the tank out of cinderblocks.

I've had a long day, and I'll be glad to get to sleep, even with the frigid temperatures. I wish they cancelled school because it was just too darn cold!

No comments: