Saturday, January 31, 2009

Student Teaching - Day 13

Thursday morning was an EARLY one. We have officer breakfast at 7am, and I had said I'd bring breakfast, so I essentially had to get up at 4:15 to get ready by 5:15 to get to Portland about 30 minutes later so that I could have time to buy food and be there at 7. But it seemed I overestimated the amount of time it would take to do all that, and I was at school about 45 minutes early. Oh well!

In second block, we discussed the difference between Legal and Ethical decisions when it comes to hunting and wildlife. I made Dilemma Cards that had a hunting, fishing, or wildlife problem for them to solve. I had them come in front of the class when it was their turn to read their card, then I wanted them to tell why they picked their choice. I then wanted them to tell why they thought the other choices were bad, similar to giving a set of reasons. The entire class would then discuss what they would do, is this a legal or ethical matter, or both? I then had them write a personal Hunting/Wildlife Code of Ethics.

In third block, we went to the middle school and the students read to a class of 1st graders for PLOW. I loved seeing it, considering I was a member of the state officer team that developed PLOW!
Every student had a "high school pal" that they would sit down and read with for about 30 minutes. I loved seeing our high schoolers being so patient and kind with the little ones. Adorable! Also, the 1st grade teacher knew who I was and that I was part of the team that designed the program. She was asking me questions and wondering if this is how other chapters do it.

In fourth block, we've been talking about characteristics of a business person. Because we will be marketing the products of the 1st block floriculture class, we needed to devise a business plan. I had each student take one question from the business plan, and answer it in their own words. We then read them outloud and I told them that tomorrow, we would create our own committees related to the sale, and then elect a chair and secretary from each to keep up with each committee.
Overall, it was a good day!

No comments: