Saturday, May 23, 2009

Interim Position

For the past two weeks, I was lucky enough to serve as the Interim Advisor to the Portland FFA Chapter. Amy Barnett was out on maternity leave for her second child and I was able to finish the year out for her. There were tons of experiences I had that make me feel so much more prepared for my permanent job. One of the most difficult tasks was to teach the Career Management Success class. These students were ... unfocused, to say the least. However, in the last two weeks I got to know them and we had fun conducting mock interviews and playing a game to review for their final. I was amazed that my attitude seemed to define theirs - the first few days, I had a preconceived notion of what they were like from hearing it from other people. Once I threw that away and treated them like everyone else, however, they LOVED preparing for interviews and showcasing their talents. I learned so much about the students when I asked them what "job" they'd like to interview for. Not only did many students want to become a vet, a mechanic, or other productive careers - some opened up and revealed singing, dancing, and writing talents. We made those interviews into "auditions" where they sang a German song, danced the tango, and played a song he had written that a band recorded (for money, the real deal!) I was so impressed! I hope they know in the future those talents can be what keeps them on the right track. I feel like that was one of the biggest reasons I was able to have this experience.

The other, of course, was to work again with my lovely Portland FFA students. We worked mainly on the banquet. It all culminated into a wonderful night - I was even recognized as an advisor! I got to walk in with Terry and Amy and say the last portion of the advisors part in Opening and Closing. I also recognized the Stars, as that's what Amy usually does. Also, this year's officer team gave me a beautiful picture frame with their picture and a wonderfully smelling Strawberry Shortcake Paula Deen candle. In addition, they awarded me an Honorary Chapter Degree. I love that I'll always be a member of the Portland chapter now!



After we cleaned up, some of the alumni and students hung out at Sonic (the social hot spot in Portland, apparently.) It was fun to wrap everything up by just sitting around and talking. I'll always love those people!

Now my summer will be filled with job interviews (or at least, I hope so!) I have one next week in East Tennessee and have recently sent my information to another school in Middle. It has also become heavily evident that to be more marketable, I'll have to be open to teaching Ag Mechanics. I never really considered myself to be a mechanics teacher, but I have the summer to brush up and really feel comfortable. I'm nervous but my mom said I can do anything, so it must be true, right? I feel confident that the Lord will keep and guide me. I'm excited to see what the future holds!

No comments: